Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Spring is here!The past 2 days have been absolutely gorgeous. It was 80 degrees here today! A perfect time to start cleaning up the deck and getting ready for summer. I have to admit - really, the deck is my most favorite "room" of the house. I know I said the kitchen, but that's probably because the deck is only "open" for a few months of the year. The kitchen - well, is open all year. Last year we painted everything and it took a long time. This year was much easier. Basically, I just put a quick coat of paint on top of all of the furniture to clean it up.

My big project for this year is getting the bench and table I brought home from the family's summer house in Long Island. I recovered them from the old decrepit shed that none of us had ventured out to for _years_. Last year we cleaned it out and I brought home a lot of great goodies. I have a bench that my great grandfather built and a table that was built by - I don't know, someone in the family I'm sure. These are the 2 pieces that I did not do anything with last summer. They just sat out there all of August through the winter. Unfortunately, the bench rotted a little bit but thankfully it wasn't too bad and I think I got it under control using wood hardener from minwax. That stuff is great! It will help restore anything! Here are the pictures from the painting yesterday:I stained the top of the bench and painted the bottom. Now I just have to poly the top. The table - I just painted the bottom. I still have to fix the top up a bit and then figure out what I am going to do with it. I found some more rotted wood on it today so I put some hardener on it and have to fill the spot with wood filler.

Well - dinner just arrived. It's Taco Bell Friday! We have Taco Bell every single Friday. I love it! I've been having it every Friday since I was in elementary school (give or take a few fridays!). I always joke that I feel as though they should hire me to advertise for them! Till later...

2 comments:

Rue said...

The benches are looking really good!

Yo quero Taco Bell.... okay, now it's really growling!! LOL

Rue :)

Tony, Paula, Murphy & Cosmo said...

Love your blog Randi!!! Please tell David I said hello and that I would love to see you, David and Bryce. XOXO Paula :)