Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dry and CLEAN!

For the past week I have been working on potty training Bryce. It has been one of the hardest things I have ever done!! I thought getting him to stay in his big bed boy was hard but I only had trouble with that once a day. With potty training - it's been multiple times a day!!

Bryce thinks going potty is boring and he doesn't have the time for it. He has told me "It's not fun!" and "I'm too busy to go potty!". Well last Monday he put himself in big boy underwear... coincidentally it's also the day I ran out of diapers in the house! Well, for the past week he has been peeing and pooping in his pants and he could care less if he sits in it! Plus, whenever I tried to get him to go it was a HUGE fight! He argued that he didn't have to go and then would proceed to go in his pants.

Enter the trusty kitchen timer. For some reason he will listen to the timer! I set it for 40 minutes and when it beeped he would go directly into the potty and relieve himself. It was like one of Pavlov's experiments! So for 2 days I relied solely on the timer and chocolate. I told him that he could get a mini snickers or twix whenever the timer went off, he was still dry and he pee'd in the potty.

Well, that did the trick! He remained dry for those 40 minutes and he got his chocolate. He now gets a sticker on the potty chart for every day he's dry and one for every time he poop's in the potty. After 28 stickers he can get an "expensive" and "big" toy! He's getting very excited.

Yesterday he went potty all by himself... without the timer! He just had to go! Yay! He also did that all this morning. Plus... he poop'd in the potty yesterday!!! Finally!!! I'm so excited.

Yes, I understand there will probably be more accidents. That's fine.... it's only been 3 days dry and clean BUT.... HE'S GETTING IT! I am SO happy!!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel! No more temper tantrums for 45 minutes to try and get him to _try_ and go (at least I hope!).

YAY! :-)

No comments: