Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Desperate for some Decorating Help!

Ok, so we have a new couch - it's what I've been waiting on to finish the living room (well, I need new chairs too but I can hang stuff w/o the chairs). I bought an old door to go over the couch but low and behold the greens clashed so that won't work. Then I thought I'd hang the door in my kitchen to discourage dirty handprints on the wall that leads into the dining room. Well, I looked at the back of the door today and it's white - so I put it above the couch. Yeah... it looks good. Just when I got used to the thought that it would be in the kitchen!! So... I need help!!! Here are the pics...

Door or....

(close up of the fabric... I wanted a burgandy couch but they don't make it in this fabric and I have spend 1.5 years now looking for a couch that I liked... this matched the carpet ok and the fabric is pet & kid proof so green it was...)

... or picture (it's a painting done by my great great Uncle... I think, well, its someone in the family!))
Door in the kitchen... or over couch?
instead of the door in the kitchen I could get one of these shutters...
Shutters are now green instead of reddish brown. I am going for "english cottage" look... yes, I know... I own a colonial. Anyhow... the bushes will flower orange red in the summer and I want reds, blues, yellows and purples in the garden beds next year. I can't pick out a door color though! I want it to be lighter than the shutters so that a wreath will stand out. We are replacing the surround around the door and the pediment on top of the door because of rot. The top thing will be a simple triangle instead of the acorn thing that is there now.
too yellow of a green on the door?a view of the door from the inside. Actually the original color goes better in the house because I've got some red accents but the color was so blah on the outside of the house. It was the same color as the roof and so much brown made the house disappear and also look way too traditional for me. I really hate having a brown roof!
Comments... Ideas... Suggestions... PLEASE!

1 comment:

Michelle H. said...

I like the door on the way into the dining room, not above the couch...the painting above the couch...and I really like your door the color it is, even though you don't!