Saturday, November 1, 2008

Closets... ugh

I love closets. I love that you can stuff things in them and close the doors. Then - the room actually does look tidied up!

What I hate about them though is that eventually they do have to be straightened up and cleaned out. Especially with a little one that is growing quite quickly. I've learned that I hate that he's growing up. For all of the obvious reasons and also - I don't know what to do with all of his clothes that he's grown out of! Plus, I have a habit of yard saleing and picking up clothes at cheapo prices that I know will fit him later. For example... my son has the tiny tiniest waist! He needs those pants with the adjustable waists. So if I find them at a yard sale... I buy them! Right now I've got a few pair in every size up to 6. He's currently growing out of 3T. I mean, you can't go wrong with those adjustable waists - especially if they're jeans! You can wear jeans all year long! So at some point he's gonna fit them! It's just finding a place for them until then.

So - this weekend I decided to clear out all of Bryce's summer stuff, move in the fall/winter stuff and re-organize his closet. So all the while... I tried to keep the "contentment therapy" challenge in mind and thought... "we're so blessed to have all of these clothes!" instead of my usual grouchy thoughts.

We really are blessed. I mean, there's tons and tons of people out there that just don't have enough clothes. It's starting to get chilly around here and there are lots of people around that don't have the option to change out summer clothes for fall/winter clothes.

Anyhow... here are some pics of what I did. I forgot to take some before pictures so they're all after pics:
Now, the closet is still not totally finished. I have to figure out his clothes - I'm not sure if a lot of the older ones still fit and I have to see if some of the newer ones have to be tailored (some of them do not have the adjustable waist!)

For the clothes that he has grown out of... well, that's another story. I would donate them but I'm not sure yet if we are going to have another. Some of you know that we've had some fertility issues and we will be starting some therapies in December so there is a possibility of having another. Therefore, I'm not quite ready to part with it yet! Those clothes are now all over the nursery (well, what was the nursery until my miscarriage). That organization is for another day though! But for now... instead of looking at organizing closets and switching out clothes as a meandering chore... thing of it as a blessing! You are blessed because you have the clothes to do so!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great looking closet! Can you come do mine!! I think a clean closet would bring contentment! Actually like you said just having all those clothes...

Tonight I came home very tired from work and had to cook for a family that is staying with us (with not job or place to go)- Afterwards I wanted to just veg and go watch a mindless movie but they were already watching something on our only tv- the grumbling started but then- how can I be content in this? Thank Jesus I have a house and tv I can share with this family and decided to come upstairs and check on my contentment group of ladies and got blessed!!!
:) mary

Julie said...

What a great idea to inspire ME to clean...by being able to turn it into a blog post! I think most people appreciate seeing a great job, and any advice for accomplishing it! Good job on this project...your closet looks FANTASTIC!!!!!