Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Washing Machine

Have you ever had a stinky washing machine? A few years ago in our townhouse we bought a new Kenmore washer and dryer - I loved having new appliances! When we moved I figured that I would just have to deal with older appliances in the new house until we could afford to get new ones. So imagine my happy surprise when the house we bought had the exact same washer and dryer that we had in our townhouse! I was thrilled!

But that happiness soon went away. The washer and dryer we have now don't ever really make the clothes smell good. Actually, every once in awhile they come out smelling a little moldy I think. I thought maybe I was leaving them in the washer to long so I bought a timer so that I remembered to take them out right away. When the wash goes in the timer gets set at 34 minutes and when it beeps I transfer the wash to the dryer. Well, it really hasn't helped that much. I just think our washer and dryer are a little stinky. Now, don't get me wrong... it's not awful... it's just not totally fresh smelling. So I figured it was about time to look into how to clean the inside of the washer to see if that would help. Here is what I ended up doing:

Step 1 - With your machine empty, run it full of hot water to the largest load setting. When the tub is full and begins to agitate, add 3 to 4 cups of distilled white vinegar to the water. Then add ½ cup of baking soda. Allow the machine to agitate for a few moments, then turn off the machine. Let the water sit for thirty minutes to one hour.

Step 2 - After allowing the vinegar/baking soda mixture to penetrate the grime in the washing machine tub, restart the machine, allowing it to complete the wash cycle. At the end of the wash cycle, as the tub begins to drain, advance the washing machine to the spin cycle. On many washing machines, this will cause the washing machine to spin as it drains, which can help to further loosen any residue. If yours doesn't do this, simply allow it to drain. Turn off the machine.

Step 3 - Wipe the inside of the washing machine tub with a wet cloth. If desired, use a cloth soaked in a solution of half hot water and half white vinegar. Be sure to wipe all inside surfaces, including the bottom and blades of the agitator and the top of the tub just under the lid. (It is sometimes helpful to use a wire toilet brush around the top rim and in hard-to-reach places.) If the washing machine has a fabric softener and/or a bleach dispenser, remove these and clean thoroughly before replacing.

(taken from How to Clean Your Top-Loading Washing Machine)

I wouldn't say the inside of the cleaner smells any better (or worse really) and I haven't really thought the laundry has smelled bad recently (really, the mildewy smell was hit or miss and not terrible - my hubby didn't smell it as much as I did) but it was probably time for the washer to be washed anyhow! I think I'm going to add this cleaning to my list of things to do - I'll probably do this process every other month or so. A little vinegar and baking soda isn't going to hurt anything! Although I still would really like to have a new front loading washer and dryer. But - for now, I need to be happy with what I have!

Thankfully, I have a functioning washer and dryer in my house and while I complain about them more than I should and grumble that they are in the basement and have to climb 2 staircases to get the clothes to their closets.... I should be extremely grateful that I don't have to put it all in the car and traipse off to the laundromat! When I was little I spent the summers at our summer shack with my parents and grandparents in Long Island. We had no washer and dryer there and every week off the laundromat we went. It was such a pain! So really, I have to stop complaining about my washer and dryer and feel blessed that I have one convenient in my home and that I have the opportunity to give them a cleaning.

So - if you've got a washer and dryer in your home - think about treating them to a "spa day" and wash them out and wipe them down. Then thank your lucky stars that they are conveniently located in your home! Heck, we're lucky we're not still carrying our clothes down the the local river with a washboard!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the washing machine washing tip! Its funny I never thought about washing the machine besides wiping it down and such!

And yes, what a blessing to have washing machines. I have been wanting those pretty matching front loaders and we planned on buying a set (never had a matching set of appliances) when we bought this home. This old house came with at least 30 + years old washer and dryer and we are using them still- they do a great job of washing and drying and I am reminded by your blog today to be content with these great work horses (even though those apple red front loader are so nice looking!!!)

blessings to you

mary

Julie said...

Hi! Thanks so much for reading my darn blog! WOW! I am so glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you will have fun with all the succulents you may mysteriously start to purchase! LOLOL.

I am allergic to bleach, but I was wondering if doing a load of whites with bleach water would help your machine clean out as well??? I have to use vinegar and salt products due to the bleach causing severe asthma for me! It sure was a blessing to find out what triggered that asthma!

This was an intersting story about the washing machine cleaning! I am going to read some more of your blog right now!

I notice you are a Christian, and an Obama supporter...me too! I feel he is what the country needed! He seemed very level headed, well rounded...and not to mention extremely smart!!!

Julie