Thursday, March 20, 2008

RIP Great Grandma's Mirror

I love family heirlooms. I keep everything that is passed down to me and try to display it somehow. Well, when my great-grandmother died years and years ago I was given a hand held mirror of hers. I have no idea if it was worth anything - I think i just liked it. Well, I was cleaning the bathroom today and put the mirror out in the bedroom while I cleaned. While my back was turned I heard an awful sound of something shattering. I ran into the bedroom and this is what I found:Bryce had gotten off of the bed where he was watching TV, walked over to where I had put the bathroom stuff down, picked it up, brought it back over the the TV and somehow must have smacked it. I was so sad. I thought about just throwing it out but I think I'll still hang onto it and hang it up somewhere. The mirrored part doesn't have to show - I'll just hang it so the backside shows....
All better! Needless to say though - Bryce was in time out for awhile for this one. Ta ta for now - I have to go get ready to camp out in DC for tickets to the White House Easter Roll on Monday! We're going down to the city to get in line by 7pm and tickets are distributed Saturday morning. I'm going with a bunch of gals from my moms group so it should be fun... and cold!

2 comments:

Dena said...

Hi Diva,

I know how heart breaking that can be. My son broke a statue that sat on my mantle when he was little and it just broke my heart. Fortunately glue and a little paint did a good job at hiding the damage! I think hanging it is a lovely idea, the back is still so pretty! Thanks for visiting me. Gigi was a rescue dog so we're not 100% sure what her breed is, we've been told terrier of some sort and possibly basengi (not sure if I spelled that right).

Hugs,
Dena

Rue said...

Oh my! I've had things like that happen and cried like a baby. I keep all my inherited pieces too :)

My mom had an old farmhouse for a while and she had a tiny bathroom under the stairwell that would've looked silly with anything large in it, so we came up with the idea of tying ribbons around the handles of hand mirrors and hanging them on the wall (I wouldn't let her drill holes in the handles LOL) The damaged ones we hung so that you couldn't see the mirrors and the plain ones were hung so that you could. I think that would be the perfect solution for you. Let me know what you think.

Rue :)