Friday, March 21, 2008

Zena

Meet Zena... our oldest dog. We have 2 rat terriers - Zena was bought at a pet store (I know bad... but it was before I knew anything!) and Emmi was rescued through Ratbone Rescues. They are both 6 yrs old (Zena is older by 4 months). I was visiting Swaddle Cottage the other day and as I was reading he blog I ran into a picture of.... Zena! Well, actually, it is her dog GiGi but it looks a lot like Zena. I got in touch with her and apparently they don't know GiGi's breed because she was rescued but I have a feeling they have a purebred Rattie. Rat Terriers are most popular in the south and midwest. They're typical farm dogs and were bred to rat out barns. Theodore Roosevelt owned 2 rat terriers (there are 2 types, A and B, Teddy owned the B type that has shorter legs hence why they are now called Teddy Rat Terriers). Zena is a purebred Type A Rattie and Emmi is - well, we're not really sure. I think she is probably a rat terrier / chihuahua cross. There is no doubt she was misbred but that's a whole 'nother post! To learn more about rat terriers, click here.

4 comments:

Rue said...

Awwww... Zena is soooo cute :)

I think our Mini is part Rat. Her ears don't stick up, but she has the body shape/height and the personality of one. Plus she can jump up in the air really high and I know that's one of their traits.

We're in Delaware, OH. You gave us a great idea and we'll try that! Thank you :)

Rue

Dena said...

Oh my goodness she looks just like Gigi! Thank you so much for sharing with me because now we know exactly what our little girl is! Hubby and I are very excited!

Hugs,
Dena

Rue said...

The votes are in. I'm not painting the cake server :)

Have a great Easter!
Rue :)

Donna said...

DD, thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog post about losing our beautiful Gizzy Girl. Your Zena is just adorable :) Love your blog. I'd like to add it to my list.. Thank you again for your kind words,
Donna