Friday, March 14, 2008

What happened to Caribou Coffee?

I loved the Caribou Coffeehouse in Olney. I actually like Starbucks gourmet coffee better but I like the layout of Caribou much better. I would go there and get a regular coffee and sit at one of the many tables they have. The store was much bigger than either of the Starbucks in Olney and they even had a large table which was fantastic! The table sat 6-8 people and was great. The Starbucks in Olney you have to jam yourself into to even get to the counter and then you may be able to find a table that accommodates 2 people. That is if they all aren't taken. I hate it. You cannot meet other people in either Starbucks and have a good time. It's basically an in out kinda place. Caribou on the other hand - you could actually socialize in.

Well - I noticed the other day on my way to the food store that the Olney Caribou is all boarded up. So is the one down in Aspen Hill. So of course I automatically thought that the company as a whole must be going out of business. I was wrong - I just checked the website and it looks like Caribou is still around. Just not the one in Olney. Total Bummer.

I can't have a MOMS Club board meeting at either of the Starbucks in Olney. No longer are the mommy coffee's in the morning, there is no place in Starbucks that our kids can play (Caribou had a toy chest and kids table!). No more are the spring morning walks to get coffee, there is no way a stroller is getting into either of the Starbucks in Olney.

Caribou had a prime spot in Olney - I sure hope something good goes in there next. Olney is SO odd. For some reason the people here don't like anything good or convenient. First they drove Pizza Hut out of business, then Einstein Bagels and now Caribou.

3 comments:

Jessie Smith said...

That is sad news...but the good news is that they are putting in a Moby Dick's! Gyros and Kabobs, woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Hey your slacking again! I am trying to keep you motivated! Now post some new stuff... HAHAHHA
We still need to get together too!

Unknown said...

You left out the Boston Market and Bob's Big Boy that used to be there.