Wednesday, March 19, 2008

5 Picture Challenge

Rue over at Rue's Peanut Butter and Jelly Life took the 5 picture challenge and it looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. You can only take 5 pictures of things around your house that say something about who you are. I ended up taking a bunch and it was difficult to whittle them down but here is what I came up with:
This is my sign from Craft Country. Craft Country was a store in Olney that I loved but sadly went out of business a few years ago. Most of the decorations and some furniture in my house that aren't antiques are from Craft Country. I bought this sign when they were closing. It used to hang as a permanent fixture in the store on the soffit near the ceiling. This sign now hangs in my ceiling and I love being able to look at it every day.
This represents my love for bargain shopping. I bought this item today at a random store in Westminster that I came across while going to pick up a bike trailer. It was $7! The pots alone would have been 7 bucks at Home Depot. The wire holder is just darling and I fell in love with the Frosty Fern plants that I found in the nursery that was attached to the consignment store I was in. The plants were not included in the price.
This represents 2 things. The love I have for my son and also the creative side of me. My son made the astronaut in school and they pasted his school photo in the helmet. I thought it was so cute that I decoupaged it onto a piece of wood from Michaels I had stored away for a project I was going to do years ago. I love how it turned out and it hangs in the stairwell going down to the playroom.
This again represents 2 things, my love for God and my love of the beach. I know the 2 don't really go together (although God did create the beach!) but hey, I only had 5 pictures! My son found these 2 pieces of Driftwood at Dewey Beach last year on a walk we took together. When we got home I tied them together to make a cross. It's going to hang in our master bedroom after we paint it to remind me of the beach and of my faith.
Lastly, this picture represents my college years and my engagement. After I got engaged during my senior year of college, I spent a lot of time in Zanesville, Ohio... the pottery capital of the USA! I frequented the 2nds shop of Hartstone quite often. I bought my entire line of everyday dish ware there as well as a lot of serving pieces and bowls. I also got the place mats there. I spent a lot of time mix matching the pottery collections to get the look I wanted. I got such a deal on this pottery by going to the 2nds store. The stuff I got was in great condition and was incredibly cheap. I saved hundreds of $$. The plate shown in the picture goes for about $24 each and I think I paid $2 a plate during their May special.

If anyone else would like to take the challenge... post it on your blog and let me know!

2 comments:

Rue said...

You did a great job with this! It WAS hard wasn't it?! It took me two days to figure out what to take a picture of. LOL

It's so bittersweet that you have that store sign. I love the pots and that basket. Cute idea for you son's artwork! Great idea for the wood from the beach and that pottery is really cute :) You really did do a terrific job because even though I don't know you, I feel like I know about you.

Thank you so much for taking the challenge and for reading my blog too!

Hugs,
Rue :)

Anonymous said...

Alright....U were in Westminster... Ur in big trouble Bub... call me next time!